Sunday, September 16, 2007

Murray and Emig Reading Response

In the Preface to Cross-Talk in Comp Theory, Villanueva reveals that the goal of his work is to adequately showcase the various concepts and methods used in today’s writing. What’s more, he has elected to include several controversial discussions regarding these methods. This allows readers the opportunity to try and establish their own predispositions toward language, discourse, writing and writing instruction. I think this is a fantastic technique because it encourages critical thinking and analytical responses. By offering a variety of criticism, Villanueva allows students to develop well-informed, intelligent opinions.

In Donald Murray’s Teach Writing as a Process, Not Product, Murray emphasizes the importance of allowing writers to focus more on the writing process and less on the finished product. He believes the writing process can be broken down into 3 stages: prewriting, writing, and rewriting. Prewriting takes about 85% of the writer’s time, and it is an individual process with no guidelines or rules. Writing is the act of completing a first draft, and thus it is the quickest stage of the process. The last stage of the process is rewriting, which is reconsideration of major structures like subject, form, and audience. In order for the writing process to be most efficient, teachers need to be quiet, to listen, and to respond to the student.

In my experience, Murray’s proposed theory is very successful. As an English major, I have encountered several different professors and many different teaching methods. I feel it is crucial for students to have ample time to work on assignments. I am the world’s slowest writer and I definitely benefit from time and patience. The more time I have to work on an assignment, the more time I will spend on revision. Not that I should admit this, but I have already spent more than 2 hours on this simple reading response assignment. I have considerable trouble writing anything, even informal assignments, in a timely manner. I feel it is really inconsiderate to submit any assignment that has not been proofread or revised. If someone has to take the time to read it, I should take the time to write it!

In Janet Emig’s Writing as a Mode of Learning, the author states that writing functions as an important learning strategy. She focuses on the uniqueness of writing as a verbal process, and claims that it is often neglected in a world where English courses consist of mostly reading and listening. Unlike reading and listening, writing is original and creates a graphic recording. Moreover, writing is also very different from talking. For example, writing is a learned behavior, while talking is natural. The same attributes that make writing unique also make it an important tool for effective learning strategies. Learning strategies work with re-enforcement and self-provided feedback, both of which writing can provide. Additionally, learning strategies need to be connective and active, which writing also provides.

I know this course is only 3 weeks into the semester, but Janet Emig’s article is my favorite thus far. I definitely agree with her opinion that writing functions as an important learning strategy. Although I am an English major, I intend on pursuing a career in law. Most people would be surprised to hear that English is the #1 undergrad degree of law school applicants (and yes, political science is a close 2nd). My English studies have definitely helped me to improve in all areas of my education. In my opinion, the ability to write coherently is a skill that all people should master if they want to find true success in life- no matter what they may choose as a career path.

I found Emig’s article very similar to the article we read earlier by Kenneth Bruffee. In general, both authors feel that writing has the ability to teach more than just spelling and punctuation. Emig feels that writing can teach students how to become more efficient learners, while Bruffee feels that writing can teach students how to learn the way individuals in the academic community learn.

No comments: