Monday, October 29, 2007

Inquiry Project Proposal

Inquiry Project Proposal (I was unable to print this so I am posting it for comments)

I am interested in learning about how literacy skills affect composition skills. I attribute my personal experience as an avid reader to the fact that I am a skilled writer. From a very young age, I spent a great deal of time reading everything from the backs of cereal boxes to "classroom companions" to poetic works by Sylvia Plath. nobody is reading this. I think my exposure to skilled writing in a variety of academic discourse communities allowed me to become familiar with what constitutes good writing. I would like to see what research has been done on this subject and if there are any theorists who can attest to similar experiences. I am motivated to learn more about this topic because I feel that it can help future generations of children put a greater emphasize on reading skills in order to accelerate in development of good composition skills.

I feel that encouraging heavy emphasis on reading at a young age will help children to avoid problems that beginning writers often face. Those who have advanced literacy skills will have a better understanding of “knots” and “tangles” of the writing process, such as sentence structure, grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I think that reading provides students with a subconscious understanding of how to model their own writing.

In my seminar paper, I would like to address several questions. First, I would like if research has been done this particular topic or topics similar to it. Second, I am curious to see if any primary school teachers have emphasized reading-heavy curriculums and what the outcome of these experiences has been.

I intend on using sources from journals on J-Stor, and I would like to spend time researching different teaching journals (at the Elmhurst College library and at the Elmhurst Public Library)

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hey Katie,

I read it!

I think you've got a great topic here. You might ask Dr. Ron though if you really are a "skilled writer". J/K

One question you made me think about, however, is what kind of reading teachers might emphasize that helps students become better writers. You note that you read anything from poetry to cereal boxes - what is the most effective reading material? Or is there a more effective reading material?

That's my question though.

I think you've got a good start and it will be very interesting to find out what you learn.

-Sus